Rob Lang is a Digital Colorist. Color grading in the post production industry for 20 years.
He has worked extensively in the European and Asian markets since 2001, working on Digital Intermediates (DI), Commercials (TVC), HDR color grading projects, TV series (OTT platforms and traditional broadcast), Restoration/ re-mastering projects
IMDb listing (opens in a new window)
TVC Commercial Color grading clients and brands for India, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Russia, Baltic States, Singapore, Thailand, Japan and UK markets
Rob has been color grading for over 19 years. He started off at Digital FIlm Finland in Helsinki, one of the first pioneers (along with The Warehouse in Copenhagen, where he later worked in 2005) of the Digital Intermediate or DI process in the World.
Grading for commercials, TV episodic and restoration projects, he also graded his first full length DI, (the Finnish/ Iranian documentary), ‘Ilman tytärtäni’ in 2001. The DI grading for this film was only 18 months after Hollywood had delivered it's first full DI, 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' in 2000. A year later, in 2002, he collaborated with the renowned Finnish filmmaker, Aki Kaurismaki on 'The Man Without A Past’, which went on to become Finlands first Oscar nominated feature film..
Since then, he has worked for some of the top cinematographers and artists in the industry. They include Oscar winning Bosnian director, Danis Tanović, Santosh Sivan ASC, Guillermo Navarro ASC, Marc Koninckx AFC, the celebrated Indian composer, A. R. Rahman and the late Ashok Mehta ISC.
When not color grading, Rob also gets involved with various aspects of color pipeline development. From 2006, he has tinkered around with anything from camera R&D to maintaining DI suite calibration (originally from DI suite to Laboratory Print, then onto DCPs as technology changed) for various post houses. More recently, he has helped implement Stereoscopic 3D, ACES, HDR Rec.2020 pipelines and QC best practices throughout various post house departments.
Rob has also acted as a supervising colorist, on-set / look development colorist, DI post supervisor, a daVinci Systems instructor (for YLE Finnish Broadcasting Company) and was invited as a panel member to the 'HDFest' symposium for filmmakers and technicians on the 'Digital Intermediate process' (Finland, 2004).
He is also a professional member of The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and Colorist Society International (CSI).
Amongst some of the award winning projects these collaborations as colorist have led to, include:
▪ Oscar Nomination | Best Foreign Language Film (Finland) - Academy Awards (The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences), USA (2003)
▪ Grand Prize of the Jury Winner | Prize of the Ecumenical Jury' Winner | Palme d'Or ' Nomination - Cannes Film Festival, France, 2002
▪ BAFTA Award (3 Nominations) Best Film Nomination | Audience Award Best Film Nomination - BAFTA Scotland, 2005
▪ European Film Awards (8 Nominations, 2002 & 2005) | Best Film | Best cinematographer | Best Director (2002) | Best Director (2005) - European Film Academy, Germany
▪ FIPRESCI Prize (‘Best Official Foreign Language Film of the Year’) - Palm Springs International Film Festival, 2002
▪ César Nomination | Best European Union Film (Meilleur film de l'Union Européenne) - Les César Academie des Arts et Techniques du Cinema, France, 2003
▪ Golden Frog Nomination | Camerimage - International Film Festival of the Art of Cinematography, Poland, 2002
▪ Golden St. George Winner (2006)/ Nomination (2003) | Russian Film Clubs Federation Award Winner (2003) - Moscow International Film Festival, Russia
▪ Nordic Council Film Prize Winner - Nordic Council, Scandinavia, 2002
▪ High Commendation Winner | Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Australia, 2009
▪ National Film Award Winner | Best Feature Film in Bengali' - 54th National Film Awards, India, 2008
▪ National Film Award Winner | 'Best Historical / Biographical Reconstruction' - 60th National Film Awards, India, 2013
▪ Prix Planete Thalassa Winner | World Festival of Underwater Pictures, France, 2005
▪ NSFC Award Winner | Best Foreign Language Film - National Society of Film Critics Awards, USA, 2004
▪ NYFCC Award Winner (2nd place) | Best Foreign Language Film - New York Film Critics Circle Awards, 2004
▪ ACCEC Award Winner | Best Foreign Film (Millor película estrangera) - ACCEC Awards (Associació Catalana de Crítics i Escriptors Cinematogràfics de Catalunya), Spain, 2004
▪ Nastro d'Argento (Silver Ribbon) Nomination | Best Director - Foreign Film (Regista del Miglior Film Straniero) - Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists, Italy, 2003